All dentists know that the only way to keep teeth and mouths healthy, is by following the correct guidelines of oral hygiene and by avoiding behaviors that are harmful to your teeth. Carrying out an adequate brushing and flossing routine is important, but there may be some other guidelines that have not been considered, which can affect your oral health.
Most cases seen in a dental office could have been prevented if the patient had followed a proper oral hygiene method. So, if you seek to maintain good dental health, the following tips will be very useful to know. These tips will help you practice a preventive hygiene process that will fight against chronic deterioration of the teeth and gums which can lead to many serious consequences.
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride. We know that when you are in a rush you do not always have time to brush your teeth, and many times we leave this activity by the wayside. However, brushing your teeth upon waking and before bed is the minimum that is necessary for preventive care.
2. Clean your mouth, cheeks, and tongue. Many people forget that their mouths should be cleaned completely, this includes cheeks and tongue. It is not necessary to buy additional tools, but just by gently brushing on the insides of your cheeks in a circular motion and by gently brushing the tongue you can achieve better oral care.
3. Floss. Flossing removes plaque and food debris that a traditional toothbrush cannot always reach; this process should be done once a day and the mouth should be rinsed once the process is finished. The National Institute on Aging offers the following guide for flossing.
How to floss
4. Eat a balanced diet. This does not mean that you need to completely deprive yourself of certain foods. However, you should moderate the consumption of the following foods, substances, and beverages if you want to attain appropriate dental care and a whiter smile as well.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Citric fruits
- Pop/ Soda
5. Avoid behaviors that can injure your teeth. If you have noticed that you bite pen caps when you study or work, or that you clench your jaw when faced with stressful situations, these behaviors may result in damage and fractures to your teeth. Be aware of situations that damage your teeth and try finding alternative ways to cope.
These five tips once implemented can maintain proper dental health and will help prevent a large number of oral diseases. If you notice any changes or wish to schedule an appointment with an oral health professional, call us at 623-869-1091. At Somos Dental we have a team of professionals with a long history of providing great dental care. You can contact us through any of the methods listed on this page, or by visiting our locations. We are located in the four following areas: Downtown Phx, Desert Sky, Mesa and Camelback. Schedule an appointment today!