What to Expect from a Dental Cleaning
During your cleaning, you will receive diagnostic and preventive services from your dentist and necessary education to care for your teeth and gums. This may include:
- Removing tartar (mineralized plaque) and smoothing tooth surfaces using ultrasonic treatments or fine hand tools. Even with routine brushing and flossing, tarter can develop in hard-to-reach-places. Due to its hardened nature, tartar can only be removed by a dentist or dental hygienist.
- Polishing your your teeth using a slow-speed hand-piece with a soft rubber cup that spins on the end. We use this combination with a special gritty paste to make your teeth shiny and smooth.
- Applying fluoride. Your dentist may use fluoride, a foam or gel placed into small, flexible foam trays and place over the teeth for 30 seconds, to help strengthen your teeth.
- Assessing the existence of gingivitis and more advanced forms of periodontal (gum) disease. We do this by measuring the depth of your gum pockets, checking for bleeding sites and assessing bone loss through digital x-rays and/or observation.
- Checking biting, chewing and swallowing patterns.
- Conducting an oral cancer examination and screening.
- Reviewing and updating your medical history (including medications) which may have an impact on your oral health.
- Determining whether you’ll need an antibiotic for persistent gum infections or bacteria.
- Performing site-specific antibiotic therapy by placing antibiotics directly into gum pockets to minimize future growth of bacteria.
- Cleaning and adjusting dentures and partial dentures.
- Showing you best practices of tooth brushing and flossing.
- Counseling on diet, nutrition and tobacco use.
- Recommendations for future or additional treatment, including when to return for another cleaning and periodontal (gum) concerns or restorative options.
Schedule Your Dental Cleaning Today
Professional teeth cleaning treatments are the primary means of preventing and treating periodontal disease, maintaining tooth health and cultivating a bright, white smile. To learn more about our dental cleanings or schedule an appointment, call our dental office today and schedule an appointment at one of our locations closest to you. You can also send a contact request or make an appointment through our online form. HERE