Involves the removal of plaque from teeth to help prevent cavities or caries. Gingivitis, and periodontal disease are the leading causes for serious disease. People should routinely clean their own teeth by brushing and flossing. Dental hygienists remove the tartar or hardened build up not removed by routine flossing and brushing.
A professional teeth cleaning twice a year can help improve your dental health and give us the opportunity to check your mouth and teeth for any problem areas that could impact your health.
During a teeth cleaning appointment, Somos Dental hygienists will:
- Review and update your medical history
- Screen your mouth for oral cancer
- Check your biting, chewing, and swallowing patterns
- Remove plaque and tartar from your teeth
- Polish your teeth
- Evaluate your gum health
- Clean and adjust your dentures or partial dentures (if you have them)
- Make recommendations for additional treatments or suggestions for home health care to keep your teeth and mouth healthy